If you want to add a little pizzazz to your dull gray basement floor, you might want to try painting it. According to the pros, painting has all the benefits of sealing and then some. Once you have the right materials and tools, follow these simple steps:
1. Prepare and seal the floor.
2. Mix a two-part epoxy paint that is designed for use on concrete floors according to the manufacturer's instructions. Mix only what you plan to use. Allow the mixed paint to rest for the specified time before application.
3. Mask any baseboard trim, floor drains and posts that you don't want to paint.
4. Use a paintbrush or trim pad to cut in paint along the edges.
5. Use a roller with a long handle attachment to apply the rest of the paint.
6. Some paint kits come with paint chips, which add a decorative element and provide a nonslip terrazzo-like finish. Sprinkle such chips on the wet finish before moving on to the next area.
* Don't walk on the floor for at least 12 hours.