Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Controlling Moisture Damage and other Waterproofing topics.
When it comes to condensation in your basement, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. You can start controlling moisture damage by using a number of different methods:
• Insulate the water pipes.
• Heat the basement during the winter.
• During hot weather, use air conditioning to cool and dehumidify the air.
• Promote good ventilation—sunlight and free movement of air can quickly dry out a basement.
* Ventilation should be regulated according to the weather conditions.
During hot, humid weather or long rainy spells, windows should be closed because the outside air will probably contain more moisture than the basement air.